This Egg Roll In a Bowl is savory, full of bold and tangy flavors, so easy to make, and ready in about 30 minutes. Made with ground meat, cabbage, carrots, and soy sauce, this inside-out egg roll is so satisfying. Looking for more? Be sure to check out my Meals Made Simple page.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Thank you!
Egg roll stir fry is a healthy and flavorful alternative to the traditional egg roll recipe. Deconstructed and tasty, this egg roll skillet recipe is loaded with savory flavors that are perfect for any night of the week. Perfect for when you are wanting something fast, but not short on flavor.
Don’t let the name of this recipe intimidate you: this egg roll in a bowl is so easy! Served either spicy or mild, this versatile recipe can easily be customized. Don’t like the heat? You can omit the peppers.
- Ground meat, you can use ground turkey, chicken, pork, beef, or even use shrimp
- Shredded cabbage, green or purple
- Carrots, shredded
- Serrano Peppers, optional, omit if you do not want the spice or add more peppers if you prefer
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Oil, extra-virgin olive oil, coconut, or any other vegetable oil
- Hoisin sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Garlic, crushed cloves
- Onion, yellow or white
- Ground onion & garlic powders
Instructions for Egg Roll in a Bowl
First, in a small bowl, combine the ground meat, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix and set aside while you chop the vegetables.
Next, in a larger bowl, add soy sauce and water. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil to the skillet. Next, add the onions and meat to the heated oil and skillet cook until browned.
Next, add the carrots to the meat and onions. Mix the carrots with the meat and allow them to soften. Add a little bit of water to the pan if it gets too dry.
Add the hoisin sauce and reserve the rest for later. Next, add the cabbage, soy sauce, and water mixture to the pan. Toss together until combined.
Then, add in the crushed garlic and remaining cabbage. Cover and cook for ten minutes.
After the egg roll in a bowl has cooked, you can taste it to see what it needs. Add in the sesame oil and remainder of the hoisin sauce, optional serrano peppers, soy sauce, and toss again.
Plate and enjoy!
Can You Reheat Eggroll in a Bowl?
Yes! This unwrapped egg roll creates even tastier leftovers. You will want to eat on this flavorful recipe for days! You can reheat the egg roll in a bowl either on the stovetop in a pan or in the microwave.
Can I freeze Egg Roll Filling?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen! Just allow the leftovers to cool before transferring them to a freezer-safe storage container or bag.
How many calories are in an egg roll in a bowl?
This recipe has over 1,000 calories, but it is totally worth it. This recipe does not contain a lot of artificial ingredients, is filled with fresh vegetables, and it’s just so yummy.
How do you reheat egg rolls in a bowl?
If you want to reheat this recipe, then heat in the microwave in a microwaveable bowl for one to two minutes depending on your microwave.
What is the serving size for egg roll in a bowl?
A serving size for egg roll in a bowl would be eight to ten ounces.
Other Recipes You Will Love
Egg Roll In a Bowl
- 1 pound meat ground turkey, beef, pork, chicken, or shrimp
- 3 pounds cabbage
- 5 ounces shredded carrots
- 2 serrano peppers omit if you don't want spice, add 3 extra if you want more spice
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons oil extra-virgin olive oil, coconut, or vegetable
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion small
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl, add meat, vinegar, sesame oil, and garlic and onion powders. Mix and allow to marinate while you prepare and chop the vegetables.
- Chop the vegetables into nice chunks– about ½" thick.
- In a larger bowl, combine soy sauce and water. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for three to five minutes. Add two tablespoons of oil. Do not allow the oil to get too hot. Add onions and meat and allow the meat to brown (cook for five to ten minutes) and break apart.
- Next, add the carrots and cook until they soften which will be about five minutes. Add two tablespoons of water if the pan gets too dry.
- Add in ½ of the hoisin sauce and reserve the rest for later. Add ½ cabbage and ½ soy sauce and water mixture. Toss together.
- Add the remaining cabbage and crushed garlic. Cover and cook for ten minutes. Taste.
- Add the sesame oil and remainder of the hoisin sauce, serrano peppers, soy sauce, and toss again. Enjoy!