These delicious Double Chocolate Sourdough Cookies are exactly what you need in your life! Rich in chocolate chips and cocoa, this sourdough discard recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious! For more ways to use your discarded starter, be sure to visit my Recipes For Discarded Sourdough Starter.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Thank you!
Soft and chewy, these classic double chocolate sourdough cookies are incredible and filled with delectable flavors everyone will enjoy. If you’re in need of some chocolate in your life, then this is your recipe. Who doesn’t like warm pillowy soft and gooey chocolate cookies?
This recipe is a great way to use up any leftover sourdough discard starter you may have. Simple and incredibly fun to create, these cookies are fitting for any occasion or day– you won’t be able to get enough of them!
How To Add Cocoa Powder To A Cookie Recipe
You’re going to love this whimsical and delicious sourdough discard cookie recipe! If you love chocolate, then you’ll love these cookies. For the full measurements, scroll down to the recipe card below.
INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE CHOCOLATE SOURDOUGH COOKIES
- Flour, all-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Sugar, you will need both brown and white sugars
- Chocolate chips, semi-sweet and milk chocolate
- Sourdough starter discard
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Double Chocolate Cookies From Scratch
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix The Dry Ingredients
In a mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.
Mix The Batter
Next, melt the butter and chocolate chips in the microwave until the butter mixture is soft, one to two minutes. For the first minute, stir the chocolate mixture every 30 seconds, then every ten seconds.
Make The Wet Ingredients
In a mixer, add sugar, brown sugar, and the batter mixture. Beat until creamy.
Next, add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix again.
Add the sourdough discard, then mix again.
Next, pour ½ of the dry mixture into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. Combine.
Add the remaining dry ingredients. Combine.
Next, add the chocolate chips and mix or fold them together to complete the batter.
Place golf-sized scoops of cookie dough on the baking sheet. Bake for seven to ten minutes.
Carefully, remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet before placing onto the racks.
WHAT IS THE SECRET TO MAKING SOFT DOUBLE CHOCOLATE SOURDOUGH COOKIES?
This recipe makes incredibly soft cookies because the cookies are taken out of the oven at just the right time so you are met with soft textures. Another way to make your cookies soft is to use more brown sugar than white sugar.
WHY DO MY COOKIES GET HARD AFTER THEY COOL?
The longer baked goods sit out at room temperature, then the more the moisture gets absorbed. If you want to prevent your cookies from getting hard, then transfer them to an airtight storage container.
You can make all kinds of things with your sourdough discard such as pancakes, soft pretzels, or even sourdough discard pita bread.
You discard some of the sourdough starter because you can keep it to make future recipes. If you feed and store it properly, then the starter can last a good amount of time.
Yes, it is possible to overfeed your starter! Be careful not to overfeed it or the discard will become quite dull and will have too much water.
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Sourdough Crackers Recipe
- Peppermint Cookies Recipe
- Sourdough Lemon Cookies
- The Poofiest Sourdough Discard Cookie Recipe
- Sourdough Sugar Cookie Recipe
Double Chocolate Sourdough Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- ¼ cup chocolate chips milk chocolate
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sourdough discard
- First, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Next, in a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix and set aside.
- Next, melt ¼ of the chocolate chips in the microwave with the butter until the mixture is soft, approximately one to two minutes. Stir ever 30 seconds for the first minute, then every 10 seconds after that.
- In a standmixer, add the sugar, brown sugar, and batter mixture. Beat until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix again.
- Next, add the sourdough discard. Mix.
- Pour ½ of the dry mixture into the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients. Combine.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients Combine.
- Next, add the chocolate chips by mixing or folding them into the batter.
- Place golf-sized scoops of cookie dough on the baking sheet. Bake for seven to ten minutes.
- Finally, remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for two minutes before placing on cooling racks.
Recipe Inspired By: Martha Stewart Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies