These Old-Fashioned Candied Carrots are everything you could ever hope for in a recipe. Sweet, tender, filled with buttery flavors, and way better than canned, this candied carrot recipe is made with a handful of simple ingredients and ready in about 35 minutes! Need more meal ideas? Be sure to check out Meals Made Simple.
This post contains affiliate links, some of which may be Amazon links which means I receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link. Thank you!
These tender and sweet candied carrots are comforting, delicious, and filled with savory and sweet flavors that fit together well. These glazed carrot slices are just like canned carrots, but they’re healthier and more delicious.
With an option for the Instant Pot, this easy side dish recipe can be ready in about 15 minutes. Since these carrots are sweet, I like to serve them with savory main dishes during Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and so much more. Some of the dishes I like to pair them with are:
- Roast Beef
- Leg of Lamb
- Lemon Chicken (check out one of our favorite recipes: here!)
- Savory Ham
- Sous Vide Beef Tenderloin
- Beef Tips and Gravy
- Carrots, sliced, you can use any variety of carrots
- Butter, melted, either salted or unsalted is fine
- Brown sugar
- Salt, to taste, be cautious if your butter has salt in it
- Cinnamon, ground cinnamon for a bold a comforting flavor
- Nutmeg, ground
- Dried thyme
One thing I love about this recipe is that I almost always have all of these ingredients on hand! They’re so versatile that I’m sure you usually have them, too. When I don’t have a lot of time to spare, anything that I can easily throw together, while still tasting delicious, is a huge plus!
Instructions For Candied Carrots
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, in a dish, toss the carrots with melted butter.
Next, season the carrots with brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and thyme.
Bake the carrots in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until cooked to your personal preference.
How Do You Steam Carrots In The Instant Pot?
This candied carrot recipe is great for the Instant Pot when you are hoping to have dinner on the table quickly. Let the Instant Pot do all the work for you with these easy instructions.
Instant Pot Directions:
- When the Instant Pot reads hot, add butter and allow to melt.
- Next, turn off the Instant Pot. Then, add the brown sugar and stir.
- Next, add the carrots and stir, making sure to coat evenly.
- Add ¾ cup of water to the Instant Pot and close the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual for three minutes.
- Finally, do a Quick Pressure Release, then serve.
Can you make glazed carrots the day before?
You can make these candied carrots the day before serving, but you may want to cook them a little less if you plan to reheat them later. If preparing this recipe ahead of time, simply stir all the ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
Can you reheat candied carrots?
Yes, this recipe can be reheated! Just reheat these carrots in the microwave or on the stovetop.
How do you make candied carrot slices?
If you want to make candied carrot slices, then be sure to slice the carrots before tossing with the butter mixture.
Other Recipes You Will Love
Old-Fashioned Candied Carrots
- 3 cups carrots sliced
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-2 teaspoons thyme dried
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an ovenproof dish, toss the carrots with the melted butter, then season with the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg,and thyme.
- Bake carrots for 25-35 minutes, stirring approximately every 10 minutes until cooked to your personal preference.
Join our community of 623 Moms!
One Scientifically Proven Way To Connect With Your Kid Tonight!
Join our mailing list to receive more tips, recipes, and more!
Robin Donovan says
I love carrots this way!
I love these candied carrots and the wee bit of nutmeg really adds to the delicious flavor!
Perfect for the holiday table or any day of the week.