This Old-Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe is exactly what you’ve been looking for! A bundle of savory flavors transforms this original sloppy joe recipe into an amazing option for dinner. Easy and quick, this sandwich is perfect for busy weeknights! If you’re looking for even tastier recipes, be sure to visit Meals Made Simple.
Old-fashioned sloppy joes were always a favorite of mine growing up. Whenever my mom would buy a can of Manwich, I would get so excited when she would make her recipe for dinner. It was a family meal that I always looked forward to, so of course, I started making different kinds of sloppy joes recipes for my kids when they were younger.
This flavorful and delicious sloppy joes recipe is a great meal to make together as a family. Healthier and way better than the pre-made stuff, this is the only sloppy joe recipe you will ever need. I love to make this recipe when we’re camping or just looking for a comforting meal.
- Oil, any type of neutral oil will be fine
- Bell pepper, we used the red variety
- Garlic, freshly minced
- Ground beef, I typically get the 85/15 ratio of beef because of its flavor
- Mustard, Dijon
- Garlic powder
- Brown sugar
How To Make Old-Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe From Scratch
First, place medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat
Add the oil, bell pepper, onion, crushed garlic to the pan. Then, mix together.
Next, add the ground beef, mustard, garlic powder, and black pepper.
With a spoon, break the meat up as it cooks.
Let the meat cook for ten minutes.
Next, add brown sugar and ketchup to the meat. Mix well.
Lower the heat to medium and the sloppy joes for ten minutes or until done. Serve.
Is Sloppy Joe and Manwich The Same Thing?
Manwich is just a brand name for canned sloppy joes. When you buy Manwich, you’re buying sloppy joe mixture!
Why Do They Call Them Sloppy Joes?
Some stories say that a chef by the name of Joe invented this notorious sandwich. Tomato sauce with loose ground meat, the name, sloppy joes, is definitely fitting for the type of sandwich it is.
What vegetable goes with sloppy joes?
All kinds of vegetables taste good with sloppy Joes such as a salad, corn, broccoli, green beans, or even Brussels sprouts. The list goes on!
What is the difference between BBQ and sloppy joe?
When you think about it, the two are very similar: meat, tomato sauce, sugar, and tangy notes. Typically, BBQ is made with shredded meat and sloppy joe is made with ground meat.
How do you eat sloppy joes?
I like to serve my sloppy joes sandwiched between two boasted buns, like brioche, for an amazing combination of flavors. If you don’t have buns– that’s okay because these healthier sloppy joes are just as good without them!
More Recipes You Will Love
- Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe
- Vegetables Salad
- Candied Carrots
- Sourdough Challah
- Sourdough Discard Dinner Recipes
Old-Fashioned Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced small
- 1 Small Onion diced small
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Place medium sized skillet over medium high heat
- Add the oil, red bell pepper, onion, and crushed garlic to pan. Mix.
- Add ground beef, mustard, garlic powder, and black pepper to the skillet.
- Break the meat up with a spatula so it evenly cooks.
- Let the meat cook for ten minutes.
- Add brown sugar and ketchup to the mixture. Mix well
- Lower hear to medium and let cook for ten minutes or until done. Serve with buns.